Community News

Faith Matters

Picture of Carolyn Young
Faith Matters
by Carolyn Young - Wednesday, 6 September 2017, 2:59 PM

There are many privileges that are a part of being a member of the Marcellin College community - I’d like to take this opportunity to share something of two of them with you now.

Last weekend I was able to be part of the Marist Solidarity Immersion – Cambodia Formation. Our 2017 pilgrims to Cambodia travelled to Ocean Grove to spend the weekend learning more about the country and people they will be visiting, the nature of solidarity, what `immersion’ involves and requires, and more about each other. I am grateful to Alexandra Rice who facilitated the weekend and to the other staff pilgrims who also participated in preparation for their immersion experience – Adriano Di Prato, Michelle Abrahmsen and Damien Gidley. My thanks, too, go to four members of the 2016 pilgrim group – Ethan Richards, Mackenzie Surridge, Harry Pierce and Jack Sullivan – who travelled to Ocean Grove to share their experiences with this year’s group. All in all the weekend was a fantastic opportunity for all present to deepen their understanding of themselves as individuals, of their immersion experience and what God calls them to do with their lives in service of others.

Prior to the weekend I had the privilege of interviewing the young men in Year 11 who have put themselves forward as applicants to serve our College community as Liturgy Captain and Liturgy Vice-Captain for the next Student Leadership period. It was great to hear these young men speak about the role that faith plays in their own lives and the role they believe that it must play in our College community. It became very clear as the day progressed that our young men have a sound understanding of God’s call to us to do all we can to build God’s kingdom here on earth – both in prayer and in action. This has been modelled for our next leaders beautifully by our current Liturgy Captains, Lachlan Viney and Luke Pease. Both Lachlan and Luke have fulfilled their responsibilities admirably: they have set an example for their peers that has encouraged others to be engaged with their faith journeys. They are to be congratulated and affirmed for their service – Marcellin College can truly be proud of the depth of reflection and commitment that these young men have shown. I know that I am.

(Edited by Heads of School - original submission Wednesday, 6 September 2017, 1:38 PM)