Community News

Faith Matters

Picture of Carolyn Young
Faith Matters
by Carolyn Young - Wednesday, 1 November 2017, 10:59 AM

Today is All Soul’s Day in the Catholic Christian tradition, a holy day set aside for honouring the dead. With this in mind, together let us pray for all those we love who have died; and for all families and friends as they continue to come to terms with their loss and grief.

A Reading from the Holy Gospel according to John.

Jesus said to his disciples: “Do not let your hearts be troubled.  Trust in God still, and trust in me.  There are many rooms in my Father’s house; if there were not, I should have told you, and after I have gone and prepared you a place, I shall return to take you with me; so that where I am you may be too.  You know the way to the place where I am going.”  

Almighty God, through the death of your Son on the cross, you have overcome death for us. Through his burial and resurrection from the dead you have made the grave a holy place and restored us to eternal life. We pray for all those who have died and are buried with Jesus in the hope of rising again. We pray, too, that all families and friends who are grieving may feel the healing power of Christ in the knowledge of our love and support. We make these prayers in confidence through Jesus who is Lord for ever and ever, Amen.