Community News

2017 VCE & VCAL Dux - Speeches

Picture of Adriano Di Prato
2017 VCE & VCAL Dux - Speeches
by Adriano Di Prato - Thursday, 8 February 2018, 10:47 AM

Good Morning to all the Marcellin Community.

Today I have been given the privilege to speak to you about the highly successful VCAL program here at Marcellin College. Before I begin, I would like to acknowledge and thank all of the Teachers and Students who have helped and supported me throughout my time at Marcellin and in particular in my final two years at the college, completing the VCAL program.

For the guidance, support and encouragement I have received from Mr. Baldwin – my VCAL teacher, my pastoral leader Mr. Brick (and all the boys from Faulkner 06), and to all the countless other teachers that I have had in my time from year 7, in 2012, to year 12, in 2017, I thank you for all your support and guidance. Without you all I wouldn't have been able to achieve my goals and stand in front of you today very proud to be awarded the 2017 Dux of VCAL.

I commenced the VCAL program in Year 11 as I decided that I wanted to pursue my passion of working with cars and become involved in the automotive industry. Whilst still completing all my VCE, VET and VCAL subjects, every Wednesday we would have work placement where I was able to work at Mercedes Benz to gain real hands on experience of my future career. I also attended Tafe at Kangan Institute for 4 weeks during my term breaks.

The VCAL program allowed me to develop and enhance many and varied skills, I was able to gain valuable experience in a workplace, improve my communications skills and learn how to deal with customers. In the VCAL program we completed a variety of projects including building a pizza oven for the college, making and installing planter boxes at Bulleen Heights School and building dog kennels to donate to charity all of which gave us many new skills and traits that we will carry with us forever. During the year we also completed a Safe Driving program, obtained our RSA Certificates, completed cooking classes and learnt about OH&S.

I have now completed my first few weeks of full time employment at Mercedes Benz in Fairfield; the VCAL program has prepared me for my next step after leaving Marcellin College. I now only have just over a 3-year apprenticeship to complete as I was able to complete half of my first year whilst still at school through the school based apprenticeship program. I will be a fully qualified technician by the time I am 21.

To my fellow VCAL students, thank you for making the VCAL experience enjoyable and rewarding, we all formed a very special bond throughout the journey. Amongst us there are aspiring Plumbers, carpenters, electricians, landscapers, builders and a mechanic, I wish all of you boys the very best for 2018 and beyond.

In summary, if any of you decide to go down the VCAL or VCE path at Marcellin, I am sure that if you work hard and are passionate about what you are doing and with the support of the Marcellin teachers and community you will have an enjoyable and rewarding time at Marcellin and a successful career later on.

Lastly to my parents - thank you for putting up with me throughout my years of schooling and work, for the constant nagging, and for being my taxi for eighteen years, none of this would have been possible without all your unconditional love, support and wisdom.  

Best wishes to everyone for the new school year.

Matthew Bowran (VCAL Dux)

Good Morning to the Marcellin community

To begin I would like to acknowledge all the amazing people who helped to make what some may assume would be the hardest year of my life, the best year of my life. There is a plethora of people who have not only supported me through Year 12, but throughout my entire schooling life. Unfortunately, I won’t be able to thank everybody as otherwise we will be here all day, but I’ll do my best.

First and foremost, I would like to thank my family for always supporting me and being there for me throughout last year, even when I got annoyed and angry at them. Thank you to my parents for always making sure I was comfortable while studying and allowing to slack off in helping around the house. Along with always driving me around and picking me up from places, sometimes at ungodly hours of the morning. Thank you to my sister for always encouraging and motivating me to do the best that I can, whilst also helping me to write this speech. Thank you to my brother, for distracting me from the pressure of Year 12 by always giving me something to laugh about, along with allowing me to take his calculator after mine broke halfway through the year. On that note I would like to apologize to William’s Mathematics teacher from last year for all the times he didn’t have his calculator when he was meant to.

I also want to give a big thank you to the Carr family for all the lifts home that I got from them last year. It can be hard living all the way out in Yarrambat, and I don’t know how I would have managed without you guys.

Next, I would like to thank all my teachers who have guided me throughout the year and have been a massive help in my success. To Mr. Viola, your organised approach to teaching Chemistry resonated with me greatly, whilst your mix of humor and your relative recent experiences of going through VCE allowed you to truly connect with your class. You had big shoes to fill last year, but you have proven to be a worthy successor. To Miss Toniolo, you managed to do what I thought to be impossible by causing me to enjoy English for the first time ever. Thanks to you I can understand the significance of word choice and social purpose that is occurring in this speech which I sure you are listening intently to in the hope of finding useful examples. Thank you for putting up with my complaining throughout the year, and I must say you deserved your promotion. To Mr Kalejs, you might have gotten a bit tired of teaching me all the time (across three different Year 12 subjects) but I definitely never get tired of your classes, thanks to your unique sense of humor and your genuine love of Physics and Math’s. I will always remember all your videos of physics and math’s acting in the real world, along with our long discussions of hard to explain abstract physics concepts, which often went off on a tangent. And to my Pastoral Leader Mr. Aston, along with the Mannes 04 boys. Whenever I walked into pastoral in the morning to see that we had a sub, I was always disappointed as I knew that pastoral would probably be a boring affair, where the teacher simply took the roll, as opposed to the enjoyable quiz and conversation filled pastorals that were the norm. I feel that your open and encouraging nature caused everyone in the pastoral to engage, which was a great help, especially in Year 7 when I didn’t know anybody.

Finally, I would like to thank the Class of 2017 for being such a great group of people. Early I said that Year 12 was one of the best years of my life, and I think that was mainly due to this group of men. I will always remember the fun times that were had together throughout 2017, particularly the legendary final days of Year 12. I feel that we all grew closer together over the year, and that everyone supported each other to do the best they could.

To some, achieving VCE Dux may seem like an unobtainable goal that requires constant perfection throughout all years of schooling. From my own experience I can tell you that this is most definitely not the case as I have failed multiple tests and forgotten about homework more times than I can count, which I’m sure is the case for everybody who goes through schooling. And, I am not encouraging anyone present to necessarily fail tests or not do their homework, however I would like to say that succeeding at VCE is not about constant perfection. It is all about making sure that you learn from your mistakes and keep getting better. There were times in the year when I was disappointed with SAC marks but instead of dwelling on my disappointments, I made sure to move on and told myself that I would succeed next time. By doing this I continued to improve throughout year 12 allowing me to succeed. However, it should be noted that success for one person is not the same as success for another. Succeeding is not about getting an above 90 ATAR or getting above 40 in a subject. It is instead about striving for the best that you can do, in all facets of life.

To end this speech, I would like to give one last thanks. In years to come, my ATAR will ultimately not matter, and I doubt that I will care or think about it much at all. However, what I will remember is the great time that I had while attending Marcellin College. I would like to thank every person in the Marcellin community, be they students, teachers or something else, for making Marcellin the great place that it is.

Thank you.

Thomas Brugliera (VCE Dux)