Community News

Faith Matters

Picture of Carolyn Young
Faith Matters
by Carolyn Young - Tuesday, 19 June 2018, 12:54 PM

Held annually, Refugee Week doesn’t receive the national attention of events supporting the resolution of some social justice issues in our country. Yet to honour our call to live as Marists it is imperative that we do not ignore the marginalised people seeking the safety of our shores. The theme of this year’s National Refugee Week reflects our Marist commitment to solidarity – it’s #WithRefugees Today, arguably as much as ever, we need a global movement to demand the safety and rights of refugees are protected. In Australia it is the responsibility of our Government and each one of us to ensure people forced to flee from their homes can live with dignity and with hope. As we look forward to our term break, let us offer prayers of gratitude for our opportunities and safety, and also a prayer that we, and our leaders, remember to treat all people as God’s children – human beings who are individuals, not statistics, flesh and blood, not problems to ignore: "Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me" (Matthew 25:40, 45, NIV).