Tour Blog

Day 4: Language session and batik making

Picture of Hugh Holliday
Day 4: Language session and batik making
by Hugh Holliday - Thursday, 28 June 2018, 10:31 AM

Today the boys enjoyed having a sleep-in after all the early starts so far. It started with breakfast at 7:30 where we all met downstairs and got ready for the day. Since the boys have now spent three days with each other, everyone was starting to bond well, and people were talking to others from different year levels.

Straight from breakfast we boarded the coach to go to our first language session. We were greeted by the friendly and welcoming staff at the school. The school was set in an open area setting which was drastically different to what we are used to at Marcellin. We then sang a song in Indonesian which set us in a good mood for the rest of the day. Based on our Indonesian language skills, we were split into 3 different groups. All the teachers that helped us there were very enthusiastic to share their knowledge with us and they were willing to go out of their way to help us learn. Based on my experiences, I was put in the first group with fellow Year 9 classmates. The most important thing we learnt was how to converse with the locals and it really made us feel more confident with the language.

After the intensive language program, we relaxed over a traditional Indonesian lunch. A lot of the food we have been eating is vastly different to what we are used to back at home. Even meals we are used to like chicken or fish are cooked very differently, with new flavours. I have enjoyed the food because of how unique it is and the spice it has in it.

After our lunch we then arrived at the batik workshop. Batik is a traditional and iconic Indonesian cloth made by drawing or stamping wax onto cloth, dying the cloth, then removing the wax with hot water. The methods they used in this workshop were very traditional, and they had no machinery, except for three old sewing machines for finishing purposes. At the workshop we were able to create our own batik cloth to take home. I gained a great appreciation of knowing where Batik comes from, how it is made and how long and laborious the process is. After this intensive day we headed back to our hotel where we relaxed and ate dinner. We then got together as a group to do our daily reflection, discussed the plan for tomorrow and wrote in our diaries.

By Luke Hamilton (Year 9), with Matthew McLeod (2017 Graduate)