Tour Blog

Day 7: Dragonfruit farm - Jalan Malioboro

Picture of Hugh Holliday
Day 7: Dragonfruit farm - Jalan Malioboro
by Hugh Holliday - Monday, 2 July 2018, 12:13 AM

Today was one of my favourite days of the trip so far. It started off with an early wake up and a big breakfast. At 9 o’clock we set off for a beautiful Indonesian dragon-fruit farm which was about an hour and a half drive away. As the bus rolled into the farm, the huge Mount Merapi looked down at us with a bit of smoke coming out of her. We were welcomed by the owners of the farm who took us for an amazing tour around the property, telling us about the wonderful dragon fruit tree plantation. We even had a go at picking the fruit for ourselves. It was good fun making friends with the owners of the farm and even teaching Bapak Gunung some new Aussie slang. Then, after the beautiful tour we made our way to the kitchen where we learnt to cook some amazing foods with the dragon fruits grown at the farm.

After a big day at the farm we set off back to our hotel room to regain our energy before heading out for a shop down on one of the biggest streets in Yogyakarta. It was 5:30 in the afternoon when we left for the market arriving only 10 mins later at the top of the street. We split up into two groups exploring this market with great awareness of our surroundings with possible thieves looking for an easy target. But by the time we had made it to the end of the street nothing had happened and most of us picked up a thing or two for an absolute steal.

Then after a big shop we went out for dinner to a nice restaurant with pizza making us feel at home. And I must say it was a pretty mean pizza with a refreshing juice. Then after dinner we made our way back having a early night. My favourite moment of the day was teaching the Indonesian farm owner a bit of Aussie slang, for example "g'day mate" and "yeah the boys".

By Jack Lyons (Year 9) and Andy Vassiliou (Year 11)