Community News

Faith Matters

Picture of Carolyn Young
Faith Matters
by Carolyn Young - Thursday, 28 March 2019, 8:20 AM

In the past couple of weeks so many different elements of our College life have connected me to our College theme for 2019, `Called to Holiness’. In preparation for our Lenten Liturgy next week, our College Captain, Vice-Captains and Liturgy Captain have each written reflections on where they see members of our community answer the call to holiness every day (I’ll share some of these with you in next week’s Eagle). Their observations are inspiring and help us to see how this `call to holiness’ can be answered in our day to day lives. Our Yr. 11 VCAL Religious Education class recently participated in an excursion that included visiting the offices of The Big Issue, an independent, not-for-profit organisation dedicated to supporting and creating opportunities for homeless, disadvantaged and marginalised people to help themselves. This visit supported our young men to see that no matter our situation in life, we can always challenge ourselves to step out of our comfort zones and strive to use our God-given gifts. 

It has been a privilege to take part in interviews with the 30 applicants who have put themselves forward to be involved in our Marist Solidarity Immersion in Cambodia. These young men and staff are also challenging themselves to step out of their comfort zones, to strive to be the best versions of themselves by presenting the face of God for others. This noble intention was lived out last week by our Remar Blue Caravel as its members ran a fundraising BBQ during our Open House in order to raise funds for St. Ignatius Primary School, the community supported by these boys on their Bourke Solidarity Camp in Term Three. As preparations for this immersion continue, these young men and their helm, Mario Frazzetto, continue to explore how they can make God’s love a lived experience for the people they encounter each day. During Open House we were visited by some of our Marist sisters and brothers from Marist-Sion College in Warragul as they made their way to volunteer on the St. Vinnies Soup Van. It was great to have this tangible reminder that the Marist charism which promotes service, and thus holiness, is a gift shared by so many.

Each of these tangible examples of faith in action speak to the exploration of Catholic Christian beliefs about the nature and purpose of human life and what our Trinitarian God wants of and for us that my Religion and Society Units 3 and 4 class have been undertaking. Our faith tradition teaches us that our God is a God of love who has imbued us with dignity and made us in God’s image and likeness. We are taught that we are therefore blest with potential and called to realise that potential through following the example of Jesus in the service of others. Our class discussions led me to reflect that holiness is ultimately sharing in God’s life and letting God’s life flow through us. Thank you to every member of this community who accepts the possibility and the challenge of this, and, as we continue our Lenten journey, may we always remember to strive for the highest.