Community News

Faith Matters

Picture of Carolyn Young
Faith Matters
by Carolyn Young - Wednesday, 23 October 2019, 7:50 AM

Our Valedictory for the Graduating Class of 2019 took place on the Feast of St. Luke, a day in the Catholic Church dedicated to celebrating a person who found his calling and dedicated his life to living what he believed to be his true purpose – spreading the Word of God. Through Luke’s deep faith in God’s love and Jesus Christ, he went on to shape understandings of the person and nature of Jesus across the course of over 2000 years - and his influence continues! The life and achievements of Luke present an exceptional example for our Valedictorians to follow and it is specifically Luke’s faith that I hope they remember.

During his Homily on Friday night, Monsignor Anthony Ireland, Episcopal Vicar for the Eastern Region and Parish Priest of St. Gregory the Great’s in Doncaster, reflected on what it is like to move beyond the familiar and into new situations. Those of us who have finished our secondary education know that such challenges are not passed us once we leave the security of our school gates! Comforting for our Graduating Class of 2019 and for each of us, each day, are the words of St. Paul from the Feast of St. Luke’s First Reading: “the Lord stood by me and gave me power, so that through me the whole message might be proclaimed” (2 Tim 4:17). I pray that our Valedictorians, our current and future students and all in our community remember that God is with us, whether we see God there or not; and that if we but open our eyes to God’s presence in our lives, we can draw great strength, comfort and hope from the knowledge that God loves us and wants what is best for us. May we embrace that faith and do all we can to bring God’s love to birth in our lives and the lives of others.