Community News

Remar and Game Changers

Picture of Carolyn Young
Remar and Game Changers
by Carolyn Young - Wednesday, 30 October 2019, 12:45 PM

For 25 years the Marist Youth Ministry Program called Remar has been providing the young men of Marcellin with invaluable, life-changing opportunities to grow in Christian leadership, communication skills, a sense of belonging and understanding of our responsibilities to reach out to the marginalised. Australian Marists have been at the forefront of providing quality Catholic youth ministry programs for decades, and as we enter a new decade in 2020 we look forward to the introduction of the new incarnation of Remar called `Game Changers’! 

Game Changers provides the same opportunities and experiences that Remar has done and will continue to do for our Remar Rowers in next year’s Years 11 and 12 – opportunities to meet regularly; to develop significant, supportive relationships; to participate in Christian service; to develop leadership and communication skills; to go to retreat days and camps with other Marist schools and to participate in a solidarity immersion. In 2020, this updated version of Remar will be available to our young men of Year 10. As such, on Monday of this week members of the Marist Youth Ministry Team came to the College to launch Gamechangers with our current Year 9s. It was wonderful to see just over 50 boys submit an expression of interest in participating in the program and to have them voluntarily attend a lunchtime meeting on Tuesday where they learnt more about what is involved in Gamechangers and what it could be for them. I encourage the parents / guardians of our current young men of Year 9 to discuss with their sons what Game Changers could offer them. Further information about Gamechangers will be sent to these parent / guardians via email. I also reassure parents / guardians of our young men currently involved in Remar that the College will continue to support the Remar Crossings as these boys journey through to the end of their Year 12, in the same ways that we always have. 

Should you have any questions regarding either of these similar and equally wonderful opportunities designed to nurture the growth of young people while fostering a sense of family spirit and solidarity amongst our Marist schools, please contact either myself or Jamie McIlroy, Remar Coordinator, at the College. The future of youth ministry is bright at Marcellin and I look forward to continuing to journey with the young men who take up the opportunity to challenge themselves by stepping out of their comfort zones and becoming who they are truly called to be.