Community News

2020 Junior School Captain | Address

Picture of Adriano Di Prato
2020 Junior School Captain | Address
by Adriano Di Prato - Friday, 29 November 2019, 11:23 AM

On Friday 29 November the 2020 Junior School Captain Takudzwa Chitima delivered his inaugural address to our community:

Good morning staff, students and special guests. 

Have you ever doubted yourself? Saying excuses such as I don’t have the skill, or I simply don’t have the talent. These words are very easy to say.  This is very common; and most people experience this. However, there are things we have control of and can be achieved with zero talent. Barack Obama once said, ‘If you work hard and meet your responsibilities, you can get ahead, no matter where you come from or what you look like.’

There are four things that I try to follow in my everyday life that requires no talent whatsoever. Work ethic, effort, doing extra and being coachable. With these qualities you can succeed in anything whether it be in sports, music, your academics or in life.

Work ethic relates to the discipline of consistently showing up and making decisions to strengthen your performance. An example of a person who displayed good work ethic was Kobe Bryant. He is known for being a 5-time NBA champion and two-time NBA finals MVP. Kobe attended practice 2 hours early, played one on one with his team mates up to a score of 100 after training, trained 6 hours a day six days a week. Now you don’t have to show up to school 2 hours earlier to study or practice your instrument. But the main message here is to have that Passion to strive forward. I started playing footy when I was 10 years old. I knew nothing about the sport. My parents had a vague idea on what footy was. My mum didn’t want me to play footy, she was worried she would spend time with me at the Emergency Department. I didn’t do Auskick, I rarely even watched footy. But I had the drive to give it my best. The result was one championship and 3 runners-up for my team in the last 4 years. 

Effort: Work ethic and effort are similar. Work ethic is the desire to do something. Whereas effort is how hard you work for it. Effort is a mindset as much as it is a behaviour. The results you achieve reflect the effort you applied. I can tell you this. . . without effort it will be very hard to achieve your goals. Effort does not only apply to sports and music. Effort can be applied in your academic areas such as participating in class discussions, studying, trying to learn from mistakes and asking for help. As Michael Jordan said, ‘I can accept failure; everyone fails at something. But I can't accept not trying.’  Bear in mind, effort does not mean trying your best near the end but trying your hardest at the start till the end.

Doing extra: involves going that extra mile, consistently working beyond what’s required, whether in sport, school or day to day life. This results in fostering confidence and will lead to usexceeding our expectations.

Another aspect that will be helpful is being coachable. This involves being a good listener, being mindful in conversations, being empathetic, being able to learn from feedback, that is accepting constructive criticism and embracing the success of others. 

To conclude, Nelson Mandela said, ‘everyone can rise above their circumstances and achieve success if they are dedicated to and passionate about what they do’. Talent is important, however it’s never enough. Being your best,don’t rest on what you were born with but dig down deep, to get the most you can be. Hence boys, in line with our College Vision, let’s strive for the highest with virtue and courage. 

Thank you. 

Takudzwa Chitima