Community News

Welcome To 2020 - An Exciting Year Ahead

Picture of Nicholas Moloney
Welcome To 2020 - An Exciting Year Ahead
by Nicholas Moloney - Wednesday, 5 February 2020, 2:37 PM

I wish to extend a warm welcome to all in our Marist family. I hope you had a restful break and have returned feeling energised and excited about the year ahead.

It is a great privilege to serve the Marcellin Community as Deputy Principal in 2020. For the past seven years I have been a member of the College’s Leadership team and I have been honoured to move into this role at the commencement of such an exciting period in Marcellin’s history. With this opportunity comes a great responsibility as we embark on our audacious journey implementing Polaris at the Depth and Pathways stages.

It is important to first acknowledge the leadership and dedication of Adriano Di Prato in the planning of Polaris; I know I speak for many who have benefitted from his inspiring and courageous hope for a new learning ecosystem. As a staff, much work has been undertaken to build courses that promote our Catholic and Marist identity, along with foundational literacies, capability skills and character attributes. Polaris is the result of a long journey, supported by the entire staff and enthusiastically embraced by our young men. They have engaged with their first week of classes with the energy and excitement that radiates from teenagers inspired to learn more about themselves and their world.

A quote from Charles Fadel, founder of the centre for Curriculum Redesign, has inspired me and remained with me in our journey to date. Charles states, “there is general acknowledgement around the world that to equip young people for success we need to shift from knowledge-only based education towards incorporating skills such as creative problem solving, collaboration and character skills such as resilience, agility, compassion and respect. These elements are central to the new success”. As our year begins, I am eager to hear from the young men in our community regarding their new learning paradigm. Courses with a real-life context, interactions with Learning Mentors, having autonomy in available periods and listening to conversations about how they improved their learning, rather than the score they achieved; these are the foundations on which to equip young people for success.

Lastly, I hope you have had an opportunity to explore MyMC, our new learning management system. After two years of discernment, consultation, testing and building, it was an exciting day last Friday to have the launch. MyMC provides a breadth of information for parents and students from course details and unit timelines, to a calendar of due dates for work submission, to feedback on how our young men can focus on growth and attainment. We have always endeavoured to work in partnership with our families and I am confident that MyMC will assist parents, teachers and students to navigate learning together.

I wish everyone all the very best for the term ahead and in particular to the young men as they strive to make the most of their ‘One Wild and Precious Life’.