Community News

Giacomo Carbone - Opening address for the 2020 Academic Year

Picture of Ben Bugeja
Giacomo Carbone - Opening address for the 2020 Academic Year
by Ben Bugeja - Monday, 10 February 2020, 2:31 PM

It is great to be here with all of you today. I hope we’ve all had a great time over the holidays and are excited for a great year ahead. I’d especially like to wish a warm welcome all new members of our wonderful family. For all the Year 7’s, new staff, and new students; here is a place where we hope you feel safe, happy and loved.

It is a privilege for me to join with all of you in celebration. Today we gather to congratulate men of great admirability. Men who, with great dedication and sacrifice, through virtue and courage, strove for the highest in their final year of studies as a part of our family. Today we gather to celebrate the prestigious Dux recipients in the class of 2019.

The men who we so proudly welcome back this morning, are an embodiment of what it means to live as a Marcellin man. They display the potential within us all.

These old collegians started their journey through our community, much like all of you boys in uniform today. Perhaps anxious at first, coming through the gates not knowing what was to come. Each journey uniquely their own and all the more remarkable because of it. But I can tell you that none of them went without their challenges, failures and falls.

In a Year 12 assembly last week, our new Principal Mr Hickey made a statement to us about failure. He said that failure is inevitable. There is no person who, upon continuous trial and pursuit, succeeds in every endeavour. Human beings are imperfect. But Mr Hickey told us that our failures are what help us grow. Instead of living in fear of failure, embrace it. Use your mistakes to find how to build yourself into your greatest version.  And this notion of success through failure is no mystery. Michael Jordan credits his success to his failures. Kobe Briant said that “everything negative is an opportunity for [him] to rise.”

The young men here today receiving a Dux award, have risen in the face of adversity. Despite the world around them, they challenged themselves to be better than they were yesterday. They set their sights on noble goals, settling for nothing until these goals were achieved.

Now I ask you, where will you set your sights?

This year’s Marist theme speaks about our ‘one wild and precious life.’ Which feels so simple, yet seems incredibly profound. This. Right here. Right now - is our ‘One wild and precious life.’ Time is fleeting. The sands of our lives run quick.

So, live your best life. Don’t let anyone or anything get you down. Love yourselves and one another like there is no tomorrow. Thrive despite all odds.

There is power in you all.