Community News

VCAL Dux recipient Aury Tomasoni

Picture of Ben Bugeja
VCAL Dux recipient Aury Tomasoni
by Ben Bugeja - Monday, 10 February 2020, 3:08 PM

I am humbled and honoured to receive Dux of VCAL for 2019, as it’s a testament to the work that I have put in during the year. I am here today to speak in front of all of you about my journey through the VCAL program.

I started the VCAL program in year 11 knowing I had a passion for cars. Becoming a VCAL student assisted me to pursue a career in what I loved and in doing so I achieved my goal of becoming an apprentice motor mechanic. As part of my school-based apprenticeship I worked at Ray Molloy Motors in Alphington twice a week to learn more skills and gain experience. To further my studies I attended TAFE at Kangan Institute in Docklands during my term breaks. Being involved in the VCAL program, I was able to experience what it was like to work long hours in a workplace, improve my communications skills in general and with customers.

The journey through school life presents many challenges, from making friends, trying out for sport teams and achieving your study goals. Having Aspergers made me more determined to prove to myself and others what I was capable of. I was able to share my life experiences with my VCAL class through a work assessment that I have Aspergers, and while this was hard for me to do, it allowed my class to gain a deeper understanding of my situation.

VCAL allowed me to follow my chosen career while undertaking study and being part of the work force at the same time. I would encourage any student to follow their passion through their studies whether it be VCAL, VET or VCE. For those of you who choose the VCAL program, you will find it rewarding as it will teach you many life skills. You will learn much about work environment, colleagues and customers.

Doing VCAL will present some challenges, it may be your school work, your social interaction, or the perception that some may have. I encourage anyone who does VCAL, to remember the benefits of it. It won’t suit everyone, but it will suit the needs of some of you who are driven to succeed in your chosen career. Don’t be discouraged, follow through on your goals and your beliefs and you will find that the VCAL course will have a positive impact on your life after school.

While this is an individual award, I could not have achieved this without the support of various people. I would like to thank Mr. Baldwin my VCAL coordinator, Mr Carlson my House coordinator, Mrs Marchese my pastoral leader, Marian House and my pastoral group Marlhes 03. Without all your support, I would not have been able to accomplish all that I have today.

Lastly I would like to give a big thank you to my parents. For supporting me through all my years of schooling, for putting up with me and for helping me achieve my career goal. I wouldn’t have done it without both of you.

I wish you all the best for the 2020 school year.