Community News

Faith Matters

Picture of Carolyn Young
Faith Matters
by Carolyn Young - Wednesday, 13 May 2020, 8:23 AM

Remar and Game Changers

For 26 years the Marist Youth Ministry Program called Remar has been providing the young men of Marcellin with invaluable, life-changing opportunities to grow in Christian leadership, communication skills, a sense of belonging and understanding of our responsibilities to reach out to the marginalised. Late last year, Marist Youth Ministry launched a new program called Game Changers. This renewed version of Remar provides the same opportunities and experiences that Remar has done: opportunities to meet regularly; to develop significant, supportive relationships; to participate in Christian service; to develop leadership and communication skills; to go to retreat days and camps with other Marist schools and to participate in a solidarity immersion. This program was introduced for Year 10s at Marcellin this year. I am proud of all young men and staff involved in these programs at Marcellin for the creative ways they have managed to continue their involvement in Remar and Game Changers as we have moved into our Home Learning program. Each Monday afternoon it has been encouraging to know that Remar and Game Changers meetings have continued. A  focus for these young men has been how they can continue to engage in Christian Service when not able to participate in the excursions organised for them by the College – this focus has been student led and is a reflection of the wonderful formation these programs provide. In 2021 the College will see its final Remar Gold Helm graduate and will offer Game Changers in years 7, 8, 9, 10 and 11.

As 2020 unfolds, further information about Game Changers will be shared, however should you have any questions about either program in the meantime you are welcome to contact me, our Youth Ministers, Lachlan Scott and Ronan Long, or Ms. Emily Andrews. The future of youth ministry is bright at Marcellin and I look forward to our young men continuing to challenge themselves by stepping out of their comfort zones and becoming who they are truly called to be.