Community News

Program Selection Process

Picture of Heads of Learning (Years 7-9 & 10-12)
Program Selection Process
by Heads of Learning (Years 7-9 & 10-12) - Thursday, 21 May 2020, 2:15 PM

As we move towards the Program selection process for our Year 7 -11 students, we asked our Careers Practitioners Dora Karas and Kevin Kelly to share some thoughts on how the choices young people make in their learning impact their life beyond school and what sort of conversations parents can have with their sons to support them in this. We will be sharing details around program selection and dates in the near future.

“Career development starts in the early years of schooling and allows young people to discover their potential, explore their career interests and link their learning to future success in life.

The Career Development Program at Marcellin College helps students from Year 7 to 12 to: explore their career potential; discover their strengths and talents; experience the ‘world of work’; focus on their values and interests; use decision-making skills to plan their learning; and decide on options and opportunities. This program allows students to develop their Career management skills and plan their learning pathway.

To begin the process of career education the student should spend time reflecting on past experiences. This will allow them to identify the attitudes and experiences that have shaped their life choices. They should consider their cultural, personal values and beliefs as this will also impact on their future directions. This self-reflection will facilitate the identification of personal strengths and challenges that may affect the individual’s learning. The student can then embrace their individuality to become more aware of their own potential. This instills personal confidence and the desire to succeed.

Making decisions about career transition can be a confusing time for both parents and students. A good starting point is to answer the following questions:
  • What are my interests?
  • What am I good at doing?
  • What do I value?
Other questions to think about include: What do I enjoy doing with my spare time? What are my hobbies? What subjects do I enjoy most at school? In which subjects do I obtain the best results? Which subjects seem the most relevant to my life? Do I value making lots of money? Do I value assisting others? Am I a creative person? Am I fascinated by science? Do I enjoy studying?

Research has found that parents are one of the most consulted and influential sources of career information and advice for young people. Given the importance of this family influence, you will find helpful information and resources to support you in supporting your son through the crucial decision-making processes that lies ahead. Please refer to the links on our careers website https://www.careertools.com.au/resources/career_coaching_parent_guide_aug_18.pdf.
https://www.education.vic.gov.au/parents/career-planning/Pages/default.aspx

Marcellin College Careers Practitioners Dora Karas & Kevin Kelly