Community News

Faith Matters

Picture of Carolyn Young
Faith Matters
by Carolyn Young - Friday, 19 June 2020, 2:46 PM

As we head into the holiday break, Jack Meehan, Liturgy Captain, offers the reflection below. May Jack’s hopeful nature and the knowledge that throughout this term our community has successfully found new ways forward encourage us all as we move into the next phases of 2020!

Learning online produced new and exciting challenges. One of these challenges was how to develop and explore different ways to aid the Marcellin community in strengthening its faith. An aspect that I found helpful was the daily prayers that were on MyMC every morning - these prayers helped me centre myself for a day of online learning. I was even able to contribute prayers of my own that I believed would help others to have a sense of hope and purpose during these times. As we know, Champagnat Day could not be celebrated in the same way as previous years. Yet when God closes a door, God opens a window and the hurdles presented by having some people at school while some still learnt from home this new hurdle gave the Ministry Team the opportunity to create a new Champagnat Day celebration. Upon reflection although Champagnat Day was different to normal, it was a success! I was able to learn more about the legacy of Saint Marcellin and had fun competing against the rest of my pastoral in the Kahoot.

I am excited about what is to come in Term 3 and the opportunities that will allow me to help others in and outside of my school and local community. During my time in lockdown I was able to witness my local community band together  (1.5 metres apart, of course) despite the times of stress and uncertainty. Going for walks with my dog and seeing teddy bears on the windowsills filled me with a sense of hope that we were all in this together and together we would get through it. I found a quote during this time, “In tough times, our community becomes our safety net”: this highlights to me the need to draw on each other’s strengths because although things are tough now, with the support of one another we will get through this. 

Together.