Community News

Reading Audiobooks? Sounds Great!

Picture of Nicholas Moloney
Reading Audiobooks? Sounds Great!
by Nicholas Moloney - Thursday, 23 July 2020, 11:22 AM

The below article is written by Mare Maticevki, Teacher Librarian

There is strong evidence linking reading with improved academic results. Reading is one of the strongest predictors of academic success. It has been stated that reading just 15 minutes every day will considerably improve learning and academic results of students.

The development of language and literacy is multifaceted and includes speaking, listening, reading, writing and viewing. From the moment we are born we listen and look intently at the faces of our carers while attempting to mimic intonations in voice. This marks the beginnings of language development and continues throughout life.

Language is multi-modal and we experience it in everything we do from chatting to a friend in person to chatting online, solving scientific experiments and presenting our findings, completing complex maths problems, filling out forms for different purposes, presenting to audiences and even visiting a cinema to view a film. Language and literacy skills underpin everything we do.

There is growing evidence of the importance of reading not only for academic growth but also for the development of social-emotional skills and the building of empathetic ability. We shared a blogpost last term with a focus on bibliotherapy and the importance of reading for understanding and wellbeing.

All this evidence is fantastic and supports the importance of reading programs in schools including silent reading, read-aloud programs, wide-reading supporting context in learning and reading for recreational purposes.  All are an acknowledgement of the relevance of such programs in aiding literacy development and growth of students.

Alongside, this body of growing evidence, there are studies that suggest audiobooks are incredibly beneficial in the development of reading and literacy skills. One study suggests audiobooks provide an equivalent ability in retention of information as reading information online does. Another study highlights the benefits of audiobooks to development of fluency skills particularly around reading, pronunciation and comprehension.

Personally, I enjoy being read to and just listening to a story, the language, rhythm and pace as it transports my imagination. Sometimes this is something I do just before bedtime as I wind down and get ready to sleep while other times I put on my headphones, go for a walk and listen to a story while exercising. The benefits of listening to an audiobook contribute to moments of relaxation.

The Placidus Resource Centre has a great online platform to provide access to both eBooks and audiobooks. You can borrow an audiobook title, sit back and enjoy the great story being told.

We have added some new audiobook titles to our online platform including the CBCA notables Aurora Rising by Amie Kaufman and Jay Kristoff and When the ground is hard by Malla Nunn. We have also added audiobooks supporting the Gothic genre unit being delivered this term. You can borrow an audiobook by visiting the Wheelers ePlatform and login with your student details. All items can be borrowed across different device platforms.

One recent audiobook I listened to is Swing by Kwame Alexander with Mary Rand Hess. This is written in verse and narrated by Kwame Alexander. I absolutely loved listening to it while going for my daily walk in the local neighbourhood.

To search through our audio books and eBooks on Wheelers, click here or go to: https://marcellin.wheelers.co/
For further information on the benefits of audiobooks head to our reading list: https://wakelet.com/wake/mBaD-gjhxQDzZuEyiqpUr