Sport News

2021 Sport Captain - Owen Rice

Picture of Ben Reynolds
2021 Sport Captain - Owen Rice
by Ben Reynolds - Tuesday, 20 October 2020, 1:53 PM

Congratulations to Owen Rice who has been elected 2021 Sport Captain. The Redden student has been an active member of both the Athletics and Rugby programs in his five years of the college and has also been involved in swimming squad for four of those years. In Athletics, Owen has won several titles in the disciplines of Shot put, Discus and Hammer throw and has competed at the Australian All Schools Championships on three separate occasions. When he isn’t competing for Marcellin he is continuing to develop his passion by representing Doncaster Athletics club.

In winter, Owen swaps his throwing shoes for boots and runs onto the rugby field. New to the sport in year seven, Owen has developed his skills dramatically, culminating with selection in the Victoria in the Under 15 Melbourne Rebels Junior Gold Team last year.  Following an extremely successful event in NSW, he was awarded best forward and invited into the Melbourne Rebels Junior Academy.

As Sport Captain he is looking forward to “increasing the level of participation and igniting the passion to play school sport in 2021. Due to the school not being able to complete a full year of sport in 2020, I am looking forward to seeing everyone getting back out there playing their respective sports and representing the maroon and blue once again.”

His advice to younger students “is to take full advantage of the program that is offered at Marcellin and to continue to play sport throughout your whole time at the college. As well as this, I challenge you to take up a new sport, a sport you might not have thought about previously. I know in the junior year levels you tend to stick with the same sports you have always played, For myself, trying new sports has opened so many great opportunities that I would have never imagined.  So, have a go, try something new, and to utilize every opportunity the sport program provides.”

When asked what his vision for the sporting year ahead was, he answered thinking about others. “Due to most sport being cancelled during 2020, my vision for the 2021 year is to re-ignite the passion and get as many boys back and involved in the school sporting program. I’d like to see senior boys working with junior players to increase the level of participation and encouraging them to pursue the pathway to 1st Level. I also would like to engage the Old-Boy sporting community and professional clubs to be more involved in the sporting program Marcellin has to offer. “

Owen will be a fantastic leader within the sport program. We wish him well for the year ahead.