General College information for parents, students and staff.
Mobile Phone and Electronic Equipment Policy
- Due to the increased reliance on mobile phones in our society today, many parents make a mobile phone available to their sons for safety reasons.
- If they need to bring them to the College, for safety reasons, any student with a mobile phone is to leave it switched off in their locker for the duration of the school day and it is not to be used on the College property from 8:30am until school ends at 3:20pm.
- However the College recommends that students do not bring mobile phones, smartphones, iPods, iPads, MP3 players and/or any other similar electronic equipment.
- Mobile phones and other electronic equipment are not permitted in any College based or VCAA examination.
- If a student is found with a mobile phone, a smartphone, an iPod, an iPad, MP3 player and/or any other similar electronic equipment on his/her person or is seen using and/or heard by staff during the day (either in the yard, in class or on a College activity) the item will be confiscated until the student’s parents come to the College to collect it from the relevant House Coordinator.
- Technology increasingly is impacting on the way in which students learn and communicate. Therefore, the only exemption to the guidelines relating to the use of a mobile phone, a smartphone, an iPod, an iPad or MP3 player in a classroom context is when a student has been given explicit permission to access and use such devices to enhance learning opportunities. In such cases, students may use the devices for its intended use for the designated lesson and in the designated period, after which the device should be returned to the student’s locker.
- Parents are advised that students are not permitted to receive or make telephone calls, take photos, film videos, upload images to social media or SMS messages on mobile phones or other electronic equipment while at the College as their use/abuse may be a breach of the Privacy Act 1988. Any infringement may be handed over to the Police.
- The College will take no responsibility for lost or stolen phones, iPods, iPads, MP3 players and/or any other similar electronic equipment.